Waltham Forest Council issued the following press release on Thursday 7th July 2016.
Work on the Marlowe Road Estate and Plaza in Walthamstow is now set to start in early autumn 2016. Not in July as previously stated. Waltham Forest Council and Countryside remain committed to £160million of investment and delivering new council homes for local residents.
Residents on the Marlowe Road estate will be receiving letters from the Council setting out the current situation and what this means for them. The basketball court and children’s play area will remain open throughout the summer holidays until work begins. After that a temporary replacement play area is being created as part of the project.
Cllr Khevyn Limbajee, Cabinet Member for Housing said: “The Marlowe Road estate is home to a strong local community and we are committed to investing in it and creating new council homes. Everyone wants to get this project moving so even this short delay is regrettable.
If residents have any enquiries they can contact the Council’s Property Team on 020 8496 3000.
You can also contact your local councillors for Wood Street Ward via http://www.walthamforest.gov.uk
Wood Street First think common sense has prevailed. The decision to close the basketball court and children’s play area just before the six weeks School Holidays was a decision that was not popular with local residents. In response to the large amount of concern from those at the recent Ward Forum Meeting in regards to the July closure of the basketball court and children’s play area our local Councillors said they would do what they could do to keep them open for the summer holidays. Whatever the reason is for keeping the Plaza and play areas open we agree with Cllr Khevyn Limbajee that in the Wood Street Ward we have a strong local community who will not be ignored.
The Plaza closing down Party on Sunday 17th July is also being postponed.
Wood Street First has been asked about the Council’s Mini Holland project, especially as some aspects of the scheme that will affect our area are still in the pipeline. At last week’s committee meeting the following statement was agreed:
Wood Street First supports and encourages the principle to encourage more people to walk and cycle in our area. However, we appreciate that the Mini Holland Scheme has aroused strong views from both those who are delighted with it and those who are opposed to it or part of it. There are those who are strongly in favour of the scheme but have identified serious issues in the current design which they feel should be addressed.
Wood Street First believes the majority of the concerns about the project could be resolved if the Council is prepared to listen and act positively to resolve them. We would encourage all those experiencing problems or who have issues or ideas for improvement to raise them with the Council in order that they can be investigated. Wood Street First believes that leading up to the 6 month review of the Mini Holland Scheme all those interested should take the opportunity to raise both the positive and negative issues of what is working and what is not so that a balance, which allows the majority of people to be happy, can be achieved.
Click here for more information on the Council’s plans.
Come see the results of Architects E17’s Wood Street project at their launch party on 11th October at 2pm in the Plaza.
To showcase and celebrate a local popular space, Architects E17 have been busy over the summer, running a mapping project and organising different workshops to help gather thoughts and ideas about Wood Street.
With input from local people of all ages, architecture students from the University of East London and pupils from Frederick Bremer School will develop and assemble a small temporary installation in the Wood Street plaza. This will be accompanied by an exhibition of the Wood Street Build Project.
Read what locals think about Wood Street and what they would like for the future, see the installation and join in the conversations. You never know: perhaps the judges for the High Street award that Wood Street has been shortlisted for will turn up. In any case, hope to see you there!
And if you would like to spread the word, click here to download a pdf of the poster.
Wood Street First is inviting applications from local voluntary and community groups for funding to improve the lives of local people, in the last round of funding linked to the Government-funded Community First initiative. A total of around £11,309 is available, with a minimum of £250 and a maximum of £2,500 available for each project.
As part of their Wood Street Build Project, Architects E17 are running an Ideas Day this weekend. It’s all happening at St Gabriel’s Family Centre, Havant Road E17 this Saturday (6 September) between 1 and 5pm.
A final call for funding applications for our third round of funding, and a reminder that the closing date is next Monday, 3 February 2014.
You can find more details and a link to download our application form in our last post.
Also – we have updated this website, gathering together on one page a summary of the projects that we have funded in previous rounds.
As promised in our last post, here are more details about the next round of funding from Wood Street First.
Wood Street First is inviting applications from local voluntary and community groups for funding to improve the lives of local people. A total of £8,489 is available this year, with a minimum of £250 and a maximum of £2,500 for each project.
Projects need to address one or more of our five priorities. Projects also need to be able to match our funding pound-for-pound with funding from other sources, and/or with resources in kind (such as donated goods or volunteer time).