Plaza Update-closure delayed

Waltham Forest Council issued the following press release on Thursday 7th July 2016.
Work on the Marlowe Road Estate and Plaza in Walthamstow is now set to start in early autumn 2016. Not in July as previously stated. Waltham Forest Council and Countryside remain committed to £160million of investment and delivering new council homes for local residents.
Residents on the Marlowe Road estate will be receiving letters from the Council setting out the current situation and what this means for them. The basketball court and children’s play area will remain open throughout the summer holidays until work begins. After that a temporary replacement play area is being created as part of the project.

Cllr Khevyn Limbajee, Cabinet Member for Housing said: “The Marlowe Road estate is home to a strong local community and we are committed to investing in it and creating new council homes. Everyone wants to get this project moving so even this short delay is regrettable.

If residents have any enquiries they can contact the Council’s Property Team on 020 8496 3000.

You can also contact your local councillors for Wood Street Ward via http://www.walthamforest.gov.uk

Wood Street First think common sense has prevailed. The decision to close the basketball court and children’s play area just before the six weeks School Holidays was a decision that was not popular with local residents. In response to the large amount of concern from those at the recent Ward Forum Meeting in regards to the July closure of the basketball court and children’s play area our local Councillors said they would do what they could do to keep them open for the summer holidays. Whatever the reason is for keeping the Plaza and play areas open  we agree with Cllr Khevyn Limbajee that in the Wood Street Ward we have a strong local community who will not be ignored.
The Plaza closing down Party on Sunday 17th July is also being postponed.

Advertisements

One thought on “Plaza Update-closure delayed

  1. Developers Countryside on June 30th informed residents that the scheme was delayed indefinitely due to Brexit uncertainties in the building world. Then on July 11th residents were told this had been lifted and clearance work on the site would begin in September.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s